Monday, October 1, 2012

Lehi’s Dream Parallel /Something We Feel




I was out camping in the deep woods. I had to make sure everything was set up before nightfall because with no city lights it gets DARK.

Ha, would you know, I had to get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.
The campground bathroom was about 100 yards away. I could see a faint small light from the sliver of a bathroom window and was able to follow it there. On my way back to camp I got lost.

All I could see was this:




I can’t remember the last time I was in such deep deep utter darkness.
I ran into a tree before I got smart enough to stick my arms out in front of me and grope through the woods toward where I hoped my camp was.

It was so dark I thought that this must have been what the mists of darkness was like in Lehi’s dream from the Book of Mormon.
The narrow path was about a yard wide. I could hear water very close and knew on one side of the path was a steep drop off into a rushing creek of freezing water. On the other side was a wall of sharp blackberry bushes.


Holy Smokes this really is like Lehi’s dream. If only there was an iron rod to hold on to. The closet thing was, unfortunately, a barb wire fence I found before I hit the tree. Yeah, I was a mess. If I was really smart I would have brought a flashlight and wouldn't be in this predicament.

I had to come up with a plan besides stay put until morning. (That did cross my mind.)
I knelt down to pray. I could feel the edge of the path below me because it was paved. I took my shoes off. This actually turned out to be one of my better ideas of the night. Every time I stepped off the path I could feel the cold earth on my bare feet and would get back on the solid pavement. As long as I felt the path I wasn't going to run into trees, barb wire or fall into a creek or prickly bush.

I made it back to camp and thought sometimes we can’t see how the end will turn out or the nice shiny tree of light.  Sometimes the path of life and the iron rod of the gospel isn't something we physically hold or even see with our eyes. It is something we FEEL as we navigate through the most dangerous parts of our mortal journey.


For a video of Lehi's dream see:



Also see:
1 Nephi 11

No comments:

Post a Comment