Sunday, June 3, 2012

Time Management



Elder Marvin J. Ashton, who was a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, said: “The direction in which we are moving is more important than where we are at the moment. Goal setting should cause us to stretch as we make our way”


“Life is best enjoyed when time periods are evenly divided between labor, sleep, and recreation...all people should spend one-third of their time in recreation which is rebuilding, voluntary activity, never idleness.”

 Brigham Young (American religious leader, 2nd President of the Mormon church, and colonizer who significantly influenced the development of the American West. 1801-1877)

There you go. Straight from a prophet of God.

So let’s look at the diagram below:


As a religious person I put God at the center.

If you are not a religious, then insert the most important thing in your life here.

I will talk about the second over lapping spaces, "Family" in my case, in a minute.


So if we follow Brigham Young’s advice and divide out 24 hour day into thirds we would have 8 hours of sleep, 8 hours of recreation, and 8 hours of work.

Sleep. 

Seriously, why aren't you getting 8 hours of sleep? Wouldn't you love 8 hours of sleep every night?

You deserve it and your body needs it.

Since I am a morning person and wake up at 6:30 every morning no matter what time I go to bed, I have to set a bed time for myself to make sure I get my 8 hours of sleep.


Notice the little slices of "Family" that are in the sleep section. Anyone who has had a baby knows what this is for. Even if your child is not sleeping through the night you can still get 8 hours of sleep. It might not be in one continuous stretch, but you can still get it.


Recreation.

Seriously, I can have 8 hours of sword fighting, baseball, and Facebook?

Ehem. No.

Lets break up the word: Re-Creation

So how do you re-create?

This is a personal question only you can answer.

Here are a few things on my list:

Read scriptures
Breakfast
exercise
Journal
Cook something impressive
Spend time with the Cat
Family Scripture Study
Shower
Devotional
Facebook
Work in the garden
Clean out purse
Read books in reading pile
Do nails
bubble bath
Fighter Practice
Read Institute Manuals
Paint
Decorate
Get myself ready for the day


Work.

I shouldn't have to explain this one.

Some people go into an office
Some are stay-at-home parents or work from home.


What every your work is, do it and do it well.

I put designing book covers and writing in this area. Some people might consider that re-creation, but that is my work.

Some of my author friends might, put writing in "Re-Creation" and promoting their books under "Work.”


So what if you work 4 ten hour shifts or are required to work longer than 8 hours a day?
Re-adjust and make it work.

I work 8 hours, but I have a one hour commute to and from work. Do I steal out of my sleep or recreation time?
No. No stealing. Listen to a good audio book, sing songs on the radio, or pray while driving for part of your re-creation time. Just don't try to sleep while driving, please.

Should housework count as re-creation or work?
It’s up to you.
I put taking my vitamins under "Work" because I hate taking them, but someone else might put it under "Re-Creation"

I put exercise under "Re-Creation," but some people might consider that work.

As far as blogging goes, My "Her Eden" blog is re-creation because I feel like it’s more journal entries.
My blog: http://www.astorybookworld.blogspot.com/ I count as work because I promote my work and others books as well.


I want 8 hours of re-creation and 8 hours of work, but my kids keep interrupting me. What do I do?

I asked this same question and a very very smart lady, Karen Hepworth, told me this, "Your kids are ALWAYS number one."

Kids are work and kids are re-creation. That’s why I have the family slices in both “Work” and Re-Creation.”

"The most important calling of a priesthood holder is that of husband and father. The most divine station of woman is that of wife and mother. . . . Fathers should lead their families in holding meaningful family home evenings. Such experiences will build family unity and influence each person toward increased righteousness and happiness."
(Family Home Evening, 1980 — Spencer W. Kimball, N. Eldon Tanner, and Marion G. Romney)


It doesn't matter how awesome of a book you are writing, or how your project will help millions of people someday, your family is number one.

I have designated "family time" and I try to include my family as much as I can. For example: I sometimes get my exercise by putting Kal'el in the stroller, running to the park, then chasing him all over the playground. Or if I'm cooking I ask if Kal’el if he wants to stir something or help me carry in groceries. Now obviously there are some things I need to do without him......... Hang on, just heard something crash downstairs.

23 minutes later.

Okay, I just put him down for a nap. Hopefully I can finish this blog post and edit it before he gets up.






"When we plan our lives and use our time wisely, the Lord will bless and magnify us to better serve in His kingdom." 

The Gospel and the Productive Life Student Manual.


As I make my lists and put them into my “Re-Creation” category and my Work category I always put the most important at the top, that way if I don't get everything done at least I got the most important done.

If I am waiting on phone call, email, or material to get the first thing on my list done, I move on to the second thing until I get what I need to finish the first. You see this A LOT in the publishing world. People are always waiting on something: edits, proofs, etc.

Then when you get the number one thing crossed off, number two is not such a big task because you've already started it.

I also make a list of things that need to be done daily, things to be done weekly, and things to be done monthly.

Here are a few things on my lists:

RE- Create Daily
Read scriptures
Breakfast
Workout
Journal
Take care of cat
Family Scripture Study
Shower
Devotional
Water plants

Work Daily
Vitamins
Clean house

Work Monthly
Clean Garage and Zombie Shelter

(Yes, I have a zombie shelter)


Re-Create Weekly
Clean purses

Re-Create Monthly
Go to Temple
Visit Teach
1 hour of extraction work 
Visiting Teaching Report


I've even color coded the things on my list. purple is “Re-Creation” and green is “Work.”

Hang on, I think Kal'el is out of bed.

45 min later

Okay, I need to wrap this up, and go be a mommy.

For more awesome quotes I didn't have time to put in here see the book The Gospel and the Productive Life.

Here is the chapter on time management.



You can also download the whole book for FREE here:




http://institute.lds.org/courses/the-gospel-and-the-productive-life.asp



No comments:

Post a Comment